Joseph is the co- head of Shibolet’s Dispute Resolution and Insolvency practice and a member of the firm's management committee
His areas of practice are International and Domestic Commercial Disputes, Commercial Litigation and Arbitration, Administrative Law, Bankruptcy, Receivership & Reorganization, Class Action, Competition & Antitrust, White Collar, Zoning & Planning.
Joseph has gained over 30 years’ experience in complex litigation and arbitration cases before all courts and tribunals, including international commercial disputes involving foreign tribunals, class actions, white collar and competition law cases. As part of his international practice, Joseph provides both local and international clients international litigation monitoring services, in the framework of which Joseph and his team administer and supervise foreign counsels in different jurisdictions.
Joseph has further accumulated vast experience in Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Banking cases.
Amongst Joseph’s clients are many of Israel’s leading enterprises, financial institutions and governmental companies, as well as major foreign corporations.
Moreover, Joseph has gained an outstanding reputation and experience as an arbitrator and mediator, and has been settling disputes both voluntary and as a court’s appointed arbitrator or mediator for many years.
As part of his reserve military duty, Joseph serves as a Lieutenant Colonel (res.) in the IDF Military Defense Counsel Division, where he has been involved in some of the most prominent cases involving Israeli soldiers and officers.
Did you know?
Yossi serves as a member of the Joint Committee of the Ministry of Justice, the Judiciary and the Bar, which handles the reform of the Civil Procedure Regulations; Yossi has been a Co-Chair of the Bar Association's Judiciary Committee since 2016.
- Joseph has been highly ranked, in both Restructuring & Insolvency Practice and Dispute Resolution, by Chambers and Partners international legal guide (personal rank in Band 3):
- "According to market observers, Joseph Benkel of Shibolet is "on very big cases and doing a very good job." He has significant experience acting as receiver, liquidator and trustee in bankruptcy and insolvency cases. He was recently appointed as receiver for Bank Hapoalim regarding the shares of Kamur."
- "Clients comment that Joseph Benkel is "driven to get the best results for the client" and appreciate his "very original thoughts." His experience includes international arbitration, as well as various domestic litigious disputes with noted proficiency handling work related to bankruptcy."
- “Always be prepared – drafting contractual provisions in view of future litigation and its funding", The Association of Corporate Counsels, December 2018.
- “Litigation outside the courtroom”, The Hebrew University, June 2019.
- “Litigation as a strategic tool for crisis management”, The Association of Corporate Counsels (ACC) convention, June 2019.